SOS helps kids, parents, and educators start conversations
about the tough issues families face every day.
And the challenges keep stacking up.
Kids deal with bullying, drugs, addiction, mental health issues, and a growing list of threats regularly. Parents struggle to connect with their children and keep them safe, and educators are tasked with teaching life skills but often fail to address the real issues at hand.
That’s where we come in.
We start tough conversations when others won’t and create content that gives people the language they need to stay safe and keep the conversations going.
Whether we’re talking to kids directly about their problems or addressing a parent’s concerns on how to connect with their child about a difficult subject – we’re creating a place for families to come together and grow stronger through education and understanding.
How are we different?
We’re unbiased, we’re unafraid, and our only goal is to bring awareness to the biggest challenges our youth and families are facing today.
We have time
Parents and educators don’t always have the time or capacity to have tough conversations. When they do find the time, they’re often too late. The social landscape is changing so rapidly, it`s hard to keep up.
Resource for Pressing Issues
We provide a resource that covers today’s most pressing issues. And we keep our finger on the pulse of current social challenges so we can address those problems immediately, before it’s too late.
We ARE making a difference.
We ARE making an impact. And we’re not afraid to do what needs to be done to build stronger families and communities for all of us.
Who do we serve?
Everyone is directly or indirectly affected by the social issues we cover.
You’re in the right place if you are:
- Looking for answers, feeling alone, or simply need a place to feel safe and find understanding in what you’re going through.
- Trying to understand the challenges a loved one is facing and acquire language to connect with them on a deeper level.
- Attempting to stay informed about the social issues your students are facing and learn ways to address them appropriately.
- Seeking information to build stronger relationships with your family and keep them safe.
- Have a desire to learn about the social challenges in your community and become part of the solution.
SOS is for all of us, and our mission is to produce content that speaks to everyone.
Where did we come from?
While looking for solutions to our own personal challenges, we quickly learned there was no resource available to guide us through the most difficult moments of life.
No one was talking about the issues or offering solutions, so we decided to take matters into our own hands and create the resource we always needed.
Thus, SOS was born.
Since being founded in 2002, we’ve established ourselves as a type of preventative medicine for the often infectious social diseases such as bullying, addiction, suicide, peer pressure, teen violence, and mental health in Canada.
To date, we have successfully:
- Distributed over 1 million magazines free of charge to schools across Canada.
- Given $50,000 worth of scholarships to students nationwide seeking to further their education.
- Engaged hundreds of thousands of students with in-school safety presentations.
- Connected kids, parents, educators – and both community and family members alike – with thousands of social organizations in their communities.
- And, most recently, built an online platform that reaches over 1 million Canadians per year.
We’ve received honorable mention from the nation’s top political leaders. We’ve been used as a resource by both law enforcement agencies and educational faculties. On top of that, a growing number of teens, parents, and social organizations are using our tool regularly.
We’ve come a long way in the past 15 years, and we take pride in our ability to adapt and find better ways to deliver our content to those who need it most.
For the best experience with SOS, we suggest taking the following three steps:
1) Explore our topics – We’ve created tons of great content addressing common social challenges everyone is affected by. Abuse, Bullying, Addiction, Health, Internet Safety, Peer Pressure, Relationships, Suicide, Violence – we work hard to cover it all. Feel free to head over to those pages and explore what we’ve got to offer.
2) Read these 5 articles – We have hundreds of articles on our site dealing with specific challenges. Some of them more popular than the rest. Here’s a list of 5 articles we think everyone should read:
- 7 Signs You’re Dating an Emotional Bully
- George’s Story: 10 Signs Someone You Know Might Be Grooming Your Child
- Overdose Survival Guide: Learn How to Save a Life
- 4 Signs of a Person with High-Functioning Depression
- How an 11-Year-Old Boy Uses Poetry to Battle Addiction
3) Connect with us on Facebook – This is where all the action is. New articles, important resources, and an engaged community of people just like you sharing stories, connecting, and finding solutions together. Active communities have power, and we’d love you to be a part of it. To find our Facebook page, visit this link.