Happy International Day of the Girl!
Day of the Girl is a campaign led by girls, for girls. The campaign celebrates the positive impact that girls everywhere have on the world as well as advocates for gender equality.
“Girls’ empowerment is no longer on the global agenda — it is the global agenda.”
– @MelindaGates https://t.co/nW99I7wqls #DayoftheGirl pic.twitter.com/I46BZDq0Cx
— Gates Foundation (@gatesfoundation) October 11, 2016
Facts About Girls
- Around the world, pregnancy and childbirth complications are the second leading cause of death in girls aged 15-19.
- In low- and middle-income countries, over 30% of girls are married before the age of 18. This number is around 14% for girls under age 15.
- There are approximately 62,000,000 girls worldwide, around primary and secondary school age, who are not in school.
- In Canada, girls aged 12-17 are 8 times more likely to be a victim of a sexual offence, compared to boys of the same age.
How will you make a change?
Take this day to reflect on how far we have come and how far we have left to go. Whatever gender you identify as, think about how women may struggle day-to-day and all of the instances that are so often overlooked (ie. being able to go to school, equal pay, etc.). The steps we take as a society should be towards a more progressive world, where we are not prejudiced based on our gender, where we are born, and the lifestyle that we choose to live. Be kind to one another. Treat others as you want to be treated.
“When you rally behind a girl, the whole world wins.”
Government of Canada Facts
Lindsey Locke | Copywriter | SOS Media Corp