ARTICLES, HEALTHY LIVING & WELL BEING. EATING DISORDERS
Why Do People Volunteer?
Teen Volunteer Opportunities
Watch this video that outlines why you should consider volunteering today
[youtube id=”DuD8Rd61q18″ width=”600″ height=”350″]
Whether you have a part time job lined up for this summer or not, there are plenty of reasons to consider volunteering.
Here are our top 5:
- Valuable asset to your resume. If you are looking for a job, experience on a resume will go a long way. If you don’t have much work experience, volunteer experience shows responsibility, references and that you generally care for the community and people in your city.
- Make friends. Looking for new ways to make friends and keep them? Volunteering is a great way. You will meet people who share common interests and care about causes that you do as well.
- Discover what kind of career you want. Do you want to be a vet? Volunteer at an animal hospital. Do you want to be a teacher? Consider volunteering at a kids camp. Do you want to be a nurse or a doctor? Consider volunteering at a hospital or nursing home. Volunteering gives you direct experience in the field you are considering studying in the future, and will help determine if that industry is right for you or not.
- Give back to the community. Volunteering helps make the world a happier and safer place. It feels good to give, and volunteering is the perfect way to do that, especially when you are helping an organization you care about. Choose to volunteer at an organization that interests you – perhaps it’s helping disabled children horseback ride, the animal shelter, the hospital, kids camps and so on. If you volunteer for causes you are passionate about, it won’t even feel like work, and you will be giving back to your community.
- It’s a fun thing to do. Volunteering will give back just as much to you as you give to your community. It makes you feel good, it inspires you to be a better person and it’s a great time. If you enjoy doing it, it won’t feel like work – you will actually enjoy it and have fun! If you choose to volunteer somewhere that allows you to be active, you are contributing to your own health and wellness.
Volunteering will teach you How to be less judgemental of others in your community, as it will open your eyes to different walks of life and make you understand struggles that others face.
You will become kinder and more accepting of others differences.